PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airblue down near Islamabad
View Single Post
Old 29th Jul 2010, 13:31
Jetjock330

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Map shift has nothing to do with this accident if a circling approach is involved.

For circling into ISB, is done as a procedure (as all circling approaches are done), commences from a point on an ILS (VOR), thereafter the landing runway must be in sight and visual, thereafter, it is a timed visual procedure, flown with a constant speed and configuration. The landing runway remains visual and further descent from circling altitude may only commence on base provided sufficient cues remain available.

If the MCDU's fail, or the FM's fail, (no map available/map shift, you name it) this circling procedure can still be flown in the exact same way as it has always been flown, or will be flown.

Having circled into ISB with A332 myself, it is no problem, and I have flown with former Air Blue pilots in my current airline. That being said, if you forget to turn downwind from the initial offset of 45 degrees from runway track, you might land up into those hills, which means the circling procedure and visual sighting of the runway never happened and the procedure was never adhered too. This was a very sad day for all of us mere mortals.