PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airblue down near Islamabad
View Single Post
Old 29th Jul 2010, 07:28
Captain-Crunch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks PJ2,

Good to see you again. Nice Graphics w/Machaca.

Thanks guys for entertaining my unpopular anti-automation position. Bergerie1 makes a valid point that I shouldn't contrast too strenuously Airbus verses Boeing; but I maintain that they are in fact different. My indictment is really against over-reliance on glass and automation when manual flying skills are called for. But distractions can always happen when ATC issues a wind/runway change close in. At some outfits, the tyranny of company standardization will require the non-handling pilot to break out the laptop and recompute the landing distance, redo the ref, rebuild a centerline on the FMS, set up the missed approach while simultaneously talking to ATC, and participating in config changes, etc, etc, etc....

Of course, on a tight circle-to-land a new guy won't get half that stuff done right. If the crew didn't pre-brief the circle 100 miles earlier, it may be impossible to do. Even if he's good, with a patten that tight, he might not "rejoin" you until short final. I guarantee "Bergerie1" he won't know which way the aircraft is pointed when his head comes up. He also won't know if the handling pilot has lost the runway unless the handling pilot orally states that. Only the guy on the left side of the airplane is going to be able to stay visual with the Threshold if it's a left hand circuit.

This accident so far reminds me of the Wamea, Indonesian BAe-146 accident not long ago. That crash was not an FBW Airbus, so that should make the stickjockeys forgive me a little bit for my scorn of the joystick.

CC