PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lufthansa cargo plane crash
View Single Post
Old 29th Jul 2010, 04:59
Captain-Crunch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why do so many MD11s crash than and also involved in landing incidents, far far more than the B777 or A330/A340 and this even the case where there are multiples more B777 and A330/A340 aircraft flying today ? Indeed far more than ANY aircraft (soviet or western) I can think of ?
Because MD-11's are older? I just don't understand the MD-11 witch hunt. The machine has the same accident rate as the B-707. They both fly over your house, yet I don't hear any poster calling for the grounding of the entire USAF KC-135 tanker fleet.

Completely illogical.

Yes it's a hot ship; yes it's another pitch-witch stretched fuselage that may not do so great in a strong x-wind since the tail is small. Just keep practiced on the line hand flying it up and down from 18,000 and you might stay current enough to avoid trouble. Most accidents I'm aware of seem to be where the crew stays coupled to 500 feet and disconnects it, having no idea what trim forces or flying qualities the autopilot has been dealing with. Then they PIO and have to deal with elevator software loads that keep changing because the airframe mob keeps demanding something be done to a perfectly good airplane.

The industry's infatuation with always flying at the highest level of automation is responsible for a great many accidents the last two decades, imho.

Not that that played any role in a cargo fire aloft accident (if that's what happened.) A fire can burn through the spar! A fire can melt your hydraulics!

Crunch