PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airblue down near Islamabad
View Single Post
Old 29th Jul 2010, 01:09
evyjet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I remember some years back I flew into ISB. We were cleared for 30 ILS, then about 5000 feet a "sudden" tailwind of 25 knots was at the field! hmm. We were told to circle to land 12. It was a very quick readjustment and briefing. The weather was clear skies on a pitch black night.

I remember turning base, I decided to leave the A/P engaged for the initial descent until I was on base and fully aware of where I was. We were supposed to disconnect the A/P 50 feet below minima. However, turning base is a "black hole" on this runway and would be very easy to initiate a steep descent whilst trying to keep an eye out for the runway. Therefore I elected to do "non SOP" and keep the A/P on for this particular day for a few seconds more (reason - safety).

I'm not sure if this is where the crash site is, but I can fully understand if this was the case. We were in clear conditions, so in rain and weather, this would be much harder. We also had minimas for circling of 2700 feet on this runway.

We were in a 777, so I am not familiar with Airbus specifics regarding this crash.