PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Maun,Namibia and Zambia it is then!!!
View Single Post
Old 26th Jul 2010, 18:24
MartinCh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The thing about FAA ratings isn't just about working in the US.
There are some N-reg operators around the globe, and for N-reg you'd need FAA papers. Also, doing FAA CPL isn't as time consuming as JAA, especially with CPL and hour requirements from elsewhere.
Also, as mutt mentions, what's the point of keeping current in JAA system living around the world, not using JAA licences?

Did I mention the FAA (C)FI rating?
You'd be able to find instructing job around the world should you not be lucky in the UK (for which you'd need JAA FI). If you had JAA FI, I'd point you to 2-3 schools I know of that'd probably take you on.

As mentioned, Indonesia would like some instructors. Middle East school or two look for FIs. Malaysia would be feasible for instructing job, even if not for charter/airline gig.
Hell, you can even go to other countries as FAA instructor and instruct on it or do local revalidation/conversion.

I've read enough from your thread and other threads to know what your heart desires and that in the past you shelved FI rating in the UK due to cost and at that time crap vacancies. By now, considering how much you spent and how long it's been since then, plus dosh from your current contract, you'd have more than enough money to do FI rating. Maybe even FAA papers in the UK, without even going to USA, ie Willow Air.

I'm rotary aficionado, gliding fan, love smaller piston/turbine aircraft, etc, but should I finish up my fixed wing flying to CPL level, I'd be doing FI rating for sure.
I'm also going to do FAA papers first, then I'd see if JAA is worth the hassle for global entry jobs and depending where I'd live at that time.
I seriously don't believe you'd not be able to afford JAA FI rating right now, with money you're earning now and possibly small loan from family/overdraft.

You could do your FI rating in Czech Rep for GBP 4500 at current exchange rate incl VAT. My Finnish online friend did his training in Zlin 326 and bit in Z142 I think. Great airplane, Z326, you'd have a blast. Jyri instructs in Baltic area now in Tecnam gear etc. This place I flew at (gliding only) has OK facilities, bit in the middle of nowhere, but it's best value for money there is in Czech Rep.

Greetings from Argentina, where I do my initial tailwheel training in J3 Cub.