PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BIRMINGHAM - 4
Thread: BIRMINGHAM - 4
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jul 2010, 21:39
Daza

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BHX

wanna-be-there

I wasn't particularly aiming this at you. Maybe you feel you have been too harsh in your criticism of BHX looking at your reaction to my post?

As I say we don't need to go over old ground as to why US and other long haul services are thin on the ground at BHX. There are so many long haul flights from London less than 2 hours by car. BHX cannot compete on an equal footing. Runway length, payload uplift and cargo capacity are contributory factors to operating profitability of any flight.

Maybe you don't know, but scheduled and charter flights to Mexico and other US and Caribbean destinations suffer payload restrictions off Birmingham's short runway. American Airlines service from BHX-ORD (767-200 and -300) often incurred payload restrictions during its period of operation. (BHX dispatch staff will back me here). Thomas Cook with its high density passenger A330s do not operate any long haul service at all from Birmingham and Im sure will do when the runway is lengthened.

Historically in the UK London, Manchester and Glasgow Prestwick (and later Glasgow International) were designated "gateway airports" and took ALL long haul flights to and from the UK so it has taken Birmingham Airport some time to catch up.

I repeat that BHX has managed to secure funding so business must have confidence in BHX and its infrastructure plans even if you don't.

Im afraid that free speech means that you don't always get the answers you like on an online forum. That doesn't make me immature, it just means that we have a difference of opinion.

Daza

Last edited by Daza; 22nd Jul 2010 at 21:50.