PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Strange attitudes to female pilots.
View Single Post
Old 2nd Aug 2002, 12:14
Penguina

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grim,

Not at all, I'm a woman and I agree with you I think. I get more attention from loveable but geeky gadget/machine-obsessed blokes than any other, because they think I'm some kind of dream woman who they can talk to about these things, due to the flying business. I generally disappoint them, because I'm not very geeky - trying harder to be, as it happens. I get less interest from the posers, however, in case I present a threat...

So far, very little obvious prejudice encountered over gender, but if you happen to be young as well it can feel a struggle not to be a bit segregated, because all the older men are unsure of how to relate to you.

That said, I did find myself being referred to as 'that lady pilot' approaching a busy circuit recently. Three pilots and an A/G controller were discussing my position with absolutely no thought of talking to me. I got a bit worried as I thought I had everyone in sight and suddenly there was this strange other plane I didn't know about. Took me a minute to realise the lady pilot was me!

Staring into this screen for so long can't be good for my future medicals...