PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Concorde's Last Flight (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 20th Jul 2010, 21:16
M2dude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vitesse:
Do you have any photos of the production line?

I remember visiting the brab hangar and seeing several part complete aircraft in green primer.
None to hand I'm afraid, but I'll certainly dig around and let you know what I find. If you remember from your visit, it was not so much a producion line as a jigsaw puzzle. (There would be a high build and a low build jig, as well as a smaller jig between them, where wing sections were assembled. The low build is where the fuselage and inner wing sections were assebled, passing to the high build jig for fitment of undercarriage and powerplant). All of this mayhem was confined to the centre bay of the Brabazon Hangar.
One of the amusing things about the Filton producion line was that the aircraft never went into a paint shop as such before flight, but were progessively painted throughout production, during overnight sessions in the assembly hangar. (The area would be closed to any other activity that night for obvious reasons). The fuselage and fin were painted first and gradually the wings and engine intakes also. The PROBLEM with this series of rolling paint jobs was that because each aircraft took several months to build, by the time construction was at an advanced stage, some of the earlier painting needed retouching, leaving the 'final' paint job a little patchy at times.
MIKE:
Oh, right. Did this involve reviving a Concorde after 7 years (virtual) inactivity? I only ask ..
A little pointless swipe, now play nice dear.
And for your information sir, an aircraft was 'revived', in the mid 80's after being stood down for over 3 years. Agreed, not 7 years, but still a long period of systems inactivity.
I gave my professional opinion, that is all, where you made no point at all sir.

Last edited by M2dude; 20th Jul 2010 at 21:38. Reason: corrections