PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The old SE V Twin:-)
View Single Post
Old 20th Jul 2010, 12:17
Jabawocky

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wally

1st
'jaba' yr call is to keep going at the minima
well in a single your choices are???

Now yr clean with a higher stall speed which is fast staring you in the face!
......... no I would not be cleaned up.....flap is not even touched unit the aircraft is climbing away well and truly, so I am still in the landing config ready to land, even if the engine gives way. and from the minima the runway is generally in front of me still so raising the flap...ala Heathrow B777 is likely to be the scenario.

but you where flying into a 30 kt H/W so making the strip is marginal at best along with handling a plane that is sinking at over 800 ft per min (EG) with maybe pax on board now screaming adding to yr almost breaking point stress levels & you simply don't see the ground 'till about a 100 ft or so with numerous obstacles directly in yr path.
.............. yep and off most RNAV's thats the kind of approach you need as the MA is still rather steep to the rnway so if the engine fails you will still make the runway, some are further out but most the MA is nicely placed in my opinion.

As forkie said.......its all about risk management. You can not live your life worrying about when the engine will **** itself!

J