PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The old SE V Twin:-)
View Single Post
Old 20th Jul 2010, 11:21
glekichi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'll bite Wally, but only because of all the help you've given me

There are a couple of short windows where we are outside of gliding distance. A missed approach due fog would certainly be one of these windows. The odds of the engine failing (remember, we've got half the chance of an engine failure that you do!) in this critical window are minimal, and as far as I am concerned the reduced risk of mishandling the aircraft in this and other scenarios more or less outweighs the risk.

So, when it does all go quiet in the soup on a foggy night.... Minimum energy speed, wings level, etc., and pray that the cabin strength is really as good as they say.

When its other than fog we're talking about, I tend to keep as much energy as possible up my sleeve, and could glide in from almost any point on the approach other than an ILS.

To compare a Kingair and a PC12, I don't think there is much in it safetywise, but the biggest difference is that in a Kingair the pilot is more likely to be in direct control of the outcome. I think this leads to a confidence in the overall safety, that might not necessarily be real.

How do the safety stats compare for accidents in the overshoot phase of flight?