PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The old SE V Twin:-)
View Single Post
Old 20th Jul 2010, 10:12
Wally Mk2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'forky' I think you missed the point here with my thread (that's okay I accept all answers)& a couple of yr comments have me scratching my head but again I need to scratch an itch every now & then If you want to die trying that's yr choice but why put yourself in that position in the first place? Anyway again yr choice & fair enough & I would rather not try to bounce off the walls of why it's safer in a twin we each have our own beliefs, mine isn't shared by you & many more like you.

My thread is more aimed at what training/ideas/thoughts/outs/self discipline procedures one has IF the only donk quits at the bottom of an appr where you didn't get visual not so more the merits of a twin eng craft.

Moving map displays on GPS's must be a good tool for an instant 'where am I' if it does fail, I wonder what pilots do re configuring the craft. Min Spd, wings Lvl, seat belts tight & lots of pillows between you & that Conty just ahead of you that's going to be sitting right beside you (if yr lucky & not actually in yr lap!) in the cockpit in a matter of seconds!

'jaba' yr call is to keep going at the minima, fair enuf one has no choice in a SE but imagine for real that you where at the minima apply power, select gear up flap up & bingo it splutters & almost dies. Now yr clean with a higher stall speed which is fast staring you in the face! Yr now faced with a plane that has no thrust that's usable, yr still in cloud & sure the rwy if it's an aligned one is out there in front of you somewhere but you where flying into a 30 kt H/W so making the strip is marginal at best along with handling a plane that is sinking at over 800 ft per min (EG) with maybe pax on board now screaming adding to yr almost breaking point stress levels & you simply don't see the ground 'till about a 100 ft or so with numerous obstacles directly in yr path. Yr air speed is now hovering around the stall the sink rate is nasty & yr seconds away from possibly the end of yr life & others (if that be the case) That's alright for 'forkie' he's okay with dieing whilst trying would you be??yr just an EG 'jaba' not meant to give you nightmares buddy

Anyway back to the original thread concept. Perhaps add a couple of hundred ft to the Min for a safety buffer meaning a little more time to deal with an eng fail but I guess that negates the whole reason why we do inst appr's in the first place, to get visual.
There is no answer in my mind but simply not do it, fly SE IFR but seeing as it's not illegal to do it for pvt ops it comes down to personal choice but what about those being transported in a SE plane allowed for IFR Ops? They don't have a choice most time is their life expendable?? They make twin engined A/c for very good reasons mainly SAFETY.
Everything about aviation is based around safety but one has to wonder sometimes!

Food for thought

Wally nk2