PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The old SE V Twin:-)
View Single Post
Old 20th Jul 2010, 04:40
Wally Mk2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The old SE V Twin:-)

Yeah I know some hate this subject & if so we say bye bye to you lot right now:-)

Okay seeing as the WX in Vic of late has been somewhat nasty with very low cloud & fog I'd like some constructive & qualified knowledge of the way the guys who do fly SE IFR (not just the Aero Med operators who operator the PC's) handle this (option wise) when confronted with a missed approach due fog or very low cloud. The old 'what if' that ONLY donk failed when the horses where called upon during go-around. How do you train for such events? Seeing as it's damn dangerous going around with 2 donks at yr disposal I've done quite a few appr's to the min of late & missed out (day & night) thinking God other than the obvious (crash) what is in place for a lost donk when there is only one in the first place.

Great EG. Missed Appr at AY off aDME Arr from Melb. Maneuver around a bit to do a NPA from the other direction. Terrain EVERYWHERE no probs with a spare donk at yr disposal but sheez still floors me that they allow this same Op in a SE plane!!!
I spoke to a pilot some time ago who flew PC's & said they try to enter the circuit at VNE to have enough energy to do a complete circuit to land off. Fine if you can see where ya going & yr not sliding off yr seat due the obvious & you had in the first place Alt to gain that speed but what if it's (WX) on the deck & you where back at low speed in the first place?

Now lets see if we can keep it civilized boys & girls those that know me know that I believe SE IFR Ops is suicide in commercial ops of any nature actually but just want to understand the logic behind those decisions for low level Ops in cloud.

Wmk2 has helmet & shield at the ready for those that are born nasty