PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Intensive IMC course this summer?
View Single Post
Old 18th Jul 2010, 12:17
BroomstickPilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IMC

Hi BackPacker,

In my experience, IMC does not lend itself to rapid learning.

A couple of years ago I started the IMC course with the intention of completing it within a couple of weeks. It didn't work.

I did the ground school in a day, passed the examination without difficulty and booked myself in for about five flights a week for the next fortnight.

In fact, most of the flights I booked, I cancelled and the instructor lost money as a result. This was because I was not ready to do them.

There is a great deal of what I shall call 'practical theory' in the IMC, that you have to master on the ground before you go up and practice them in the air. If you fly without mastering this material you will just be wasting money.

In my case, after a discussion with my instructor it was decided that the best thing would be to book no more than two flights per week, on the understanding that I would be at the aerodrome practically full time practicing with RANT on the computer between flights.

As a suggestion, I wonder if it would be possible for you to do your IMC training (which is all dual) in the Netherlands and just come over to the UK to do the IMC skill-test? I don't know if this is possible, but it's the best I can think of.

Regards.

Broomstick