PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Thunderstorms.
Thread: Thunderstorms.
View Single Post
Old 16th Jul 2010, 07:58
EGNH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thunderstorms.

On the evening of the 14th July I was waiting at Blackpool airport to carry out my first lesson for my PPL after years of being in the front with someone showing me what to do I decided it was time to do my PPL.

Anyway before I digress my lesson was cancelled due to big active cells in the area which is fine by me, safety and all that.

Having looked at the rainfall radar for that time the Scottish Borders / Pennines down to the East Midlands was one big bright echo return with heavy rain and frequent lightning.

Just wondering how would you get into Manchester when there was a ring of storms round it? Also whilst waiting for it to blow over (It didn't) a BAE 146 from Munich crossed the airfield to Warton. My last question is that aircraft would of had to decend through this bad weather, would it of been bumpy? And is lightning not a risk if flying directly through it (If they did) I cannot see how they avoided it!

Is there a way of getting historical satellite pictures, rainfall radar for the time in question? (18:30)

Thanks in advance.