PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is EK aviation's BP?
View Single Post
Old 15th Jul 2010, 18:01
helen-damnation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's very true, this company is not what it used to be. T's & C's have been eroded, some senior management are extremely dangerous and like many others I keep an eye on what else is on offer.

However:
FTL - EK have said that they plan to introduce a revision to FTL which works along the lines that time in the bunk does not count - only stick time does.
Who cares? When I get to 900 hours I get fatigued and the clinic gets a visit.

Also the main gent in charge has recently stated that no pilot should have more than 3 days off in a row (apparently crew control are having fun with this new introduction) which seems to be causing some headaches!
Not true at the moment, I have more than 3 off this month. I seem to recall a relaxation to 5 or 7 that was announced last year or earlier this year by ED.
Aspiring commuter - don't even go there!
Safety - Following the Melbourne incident apparently the senior management gave the pilots a good slap around - however the opinions aired on this thread are in line with the ones I have heard. EK are naturally very vocal about safety however their daily actions, SOP's, checking and procedures do not meet the high standard they preach.
There were some appaling knee-jerk reactions that have been well publicised here. The SOP's work if you use them. You're also meant to be a pilot, if the the SOP doesn't cover the problem - fly the plane. Checking and training has always been reasonable, in my experience, as have the vast majority of TRI's & TRE's.
Emirates Clinic - Have only heard good things about it - the guys say that they always get seen as and when needed, both individually and as a family.
Agree 100%. It's one of the few really good things left alone. If you insist on seeing 1 Dr, you wait, same as in many home countries. If you need someone today, they're there ready to see you.

I'm not an EK apologist, I'm a realist and when the $&!t can is full, I'll leave.
The level varies on a day to day basis.