PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Trying to get back into the industry
View Single Post
Old 15th Jul 2010, 07:59
aussie027

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm in the exact same boat Maxx but with less than half your experience. at the same age.
It's an absolute living hell for me as flying was my life. Been either doing it or trying to get a job doing it since I was a teenager.
As in the past I am going to keep trying but it is seemingly impossible to break the catch 22, where when you need a flying job you can't get an interview because you don't have one and haven't had one in a while. Then even if you do get one and it goes well, others will be chosen over you because they are currently flying and you are not, all other things being equal.

Those that are lucky enough to already have a flying job therefore get to move onward and upward with their careers and you cannot get a look in or move forward.
It is unimaginably frustrating to all those who are passionate and dedicated about flying and in this position. Those that have never had to go through it for any length of time have no idea just how much.
I empathize completely with your situation.
I am constantly reminding local employers I am available and ready to go ASAP when an opportunity presents itself.
Many other pilots are in the same boat at present no doubt, across Australia and also in most other countries thank to the GFC and it's long term effects.
I am trying to stay hopeful but it is extremely difficult as the years go by.
I am trying to keep the faith.
Best of luck mate.

PS- I am adding this post script because I know what some people on this forum are like.
Please, to all those reading this thread, some words of encouragement /suggestions would be appreciated if you feel like commenting at all.
Negative comments and flames are not!!
If you feel like posting those kind of comments you think long and hard about how EVERY aspect of your life, including your personality would change if you lost your job today, effective immediately, and you couldn't fly again for 2-3years MINIMUM.
Thank you.

Last edited by aussie027; 15th Jul 2010 at 08:15. Reason: Text