PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is EK aviation's BP?
View Single Post
Old 14th Jul 2010, 12:28
PRT2010

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm sorry guys but LR 3 is right... lets take it down a peg or two.

I'm interested to read anything and everything about EK as they are one company who I am considering applying too in the future. I have very close friends - many of whom I trained with many years ago and who are with EK currently. All of them I trust and all of whom say the same things. The following info I was told yesterday by one of them:

FTL - EK have said that they plan to introduce a revision to FTL which works along the lines that time in the bunk does not count - only stick time does.
Also the main gent in charge has recently stated that no pilot should have more than 3 days off in a row (apparently crew control are having fun with this new introduction) which seems to be causing some headaches!
Safety - Following the Melbourne incident apparently the senior management gave the pilots a good slap around - however the opinions aired on this thread are in line with the ones I have heard. EK are naturally very vocal about safety however their daily actions, SOP's, checking and procedures do not meet the high standard they preach.
Emirates Clinic - Have only heard good things about it - the guys say that they always get seen as and when needed, both individually and as a family.

The guys have told me that if you play the game, follow the lists, ease the ego and go with the flow (But keep your own personal standards) and not against it life is pretty good. Its not ideal, and its not as good as it was a few years ago.

From what I have read and heard I get the impression that there is a significant level of truth to the statement and comparison of BP & EK. However the only thing I personally hope is that EK do not ever have a comparable incident, as any death is unacceptable for our industry. Change is needed - lets hope it happens.