PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Concorde's Last Flight (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 14th Jul 2010, 11:28
Feathers McGraw

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Windriver

The engine control on Concorde was entirely electric/electronic, there were various inhibitors for N1 as the engines accelerated, in particular No. 4 engine had to have N1 held down until 60kt because while all four engines rotated in the same direction the four intakes were mirror images down the centreline of the aircraft and the inner and outer inlet pair had a different shape leading to different flow patterns and hence surge margin. The result was that the engine control units sorted it out on a per engine basis as the power came in. The reheats were also pre-selected and lit once all engines had stabilised in dry power. It was thus possible to bang the throttles open without needing to worry about engine parameters, normally this was done by the captain who started the stopwatch simultaneously with his other hand, the time on this being used for timing the noise abatement procedure.

PPrune Pop

When I say tyre failure, I was referring to the fact that a cut (possibly exacerbated by other factors) caused a large piece of tread to be shed. I've read before that the tyres used by each operator were different in this respect, maybe a similar piece would not have come off from a BA Concorde tyre. What I saw stated that one type of tyre tread would break up into small pieces, the other would not.

As for the tank rupture, try as I might I can't see how a hydraulic shock wave could happen unless the mandated air space in the tank was not present. Why that would happen I shall not comment on further.