PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The perpetual 'Am I too old?' thread
View Single Post
Old 13th Jul 2010, 19:16
Farrell
The Cooler King

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
however i've got the impression that many pilots are unhappy with their job, is that really the case?
Yes it is.
The glory days of aviation are slowly but surely disappearing.
As a thirty something, you will I am sure remember things like flight engineers, proper nav with slide-rules, real gauges and pilots who were treated with respect.

The above is now more or less all gone.
Airlines are run by people who are geo-anatomically challenged (they know not their arse from their elbow) when it comes to what happens on a flightdeck, or before and after a flight - especially around the area of Human Factors!

Take here in the Middle East, for example.
Or check out the Emirates or Qatari threads.

Days off are constantly invaded by Crewing (wobbles head) who either did not realize you were on a rest day - or more than likely knew, didn't give a stuff and called you out of bed anyway, then take the hump when they're told to sod off!

Standby days are no longer standby days - they are days off for your less than scrupulous colleagues who like nothing better than to f*ck you over in exchange for a few more hours sleep.

The cadet schemes are all but gone, and it is beginning to show in the quality of some new jet-jockeys.

Guys over here call Met to find out what the weather is like at destination and use that to determine whether or not they are fit to fly.....a crosswind over 15kts or OVC on the TAF is enough to send a few folks here into a state of apoplexy.

Getting leave is like trying to get blood out of a stone.
Allowances are being eroded away and some pilots are getting ditched because they can be replaced by self-sponsored, debt-ridden newbies who are willing to work for a handful a rice a week and enough salary for a monthly loan repayment.
They will even buy their own uniform!

The dream sir, has fallen on it's arse, rolled over and died!

Farrell