PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EGTG / London Control
View Single Post
Old 11th Jul 2010, 23:17
Amcapt89

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello everyone,

many thanks indeed for your answers and for your help!

However, my lovely colleagues on the North Bank in TC are just like the rest of us, and always endeavour to provide the best possible service. You will most likely get a join within minutes, and once joined should have no delay en route.

The other thing to be sure of is what your intentions and options are if by any chance you don't get a a join... would you hold and await one? Continue en-route and see if you can get a join further down (CPT?)
I knew already that ATCOs are always kind and polite... In my experience I have always found friendly people on the other end, trying to give a hand to the pilots if they can, that's why I do not want to spoil their day, being in the wrong place on a GA flight!

As a pilot I have plan B (and C too), we have to be prepared for those man ATCOs... In case I won't be able to the access to the airways system, Plan B would be to go low level IFR O/CAS... Plan C would be to cancel IFR and close the FPL, and go VFR. It will depend on the WX.

CPT might be a good point, but it will be high workload, being IFR O/CAS, and having Wycombe ATZ / Benson MATZ / LTMA.

IF you can accelerate to 300 knots and climb at 3000ft per min that'll help as well!
300 kts... No way in a million years... 3000 fpm maybe for a couple of seconds...

As a holder of a TC Midlands validation I'd say your best bet is to join CAS at DTY on 130.925 then go to CPT MALBY etc so you don't interfere with TMA departures. I know it means a few extrs miles but if its a pleasure flight you'll almost certainly have the pleasure of not holding anywhere
Well that might be an option too, and I am really used to get acces in the DTY area with London Control on 130.925... On the other side of the coin, that would mean lose a good 50 miles worth of fuel, and spend 30 mins more as flight time. That won't be cost effective and expeditious on a twin engine a/c...!

To answer the original question. FL100 southbound in that vicinity isn't ideal. There is a standing agreement for EGHH/EGHI northbounds in place climbing to FL100 towards NORRY. A lot of controllers will keep you at FL90 until clear of any Solent outbounds.

What is likely to happen if it is anything other than dead traffic wise is you will be given clearance to join CAS o/t WCO, then given vectors in a south westerly direction to intercept L9 in the vicinity of KENET. This will keep you clear of any TMA departures and will get you "out of the way" sooner. It's also a shortcut!
That would be the ideal situation... FL100 was just to plan according with the track, but FL90 would be perfect as well.

Again many thanks indeed for your help and for your expertise!

amcapt89