PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The 100 hour glass ceiling
View Single Post
Old 11th Jul 2010, 18:56
Pilot DAR

Received 92 Likes on 56 Posts
There was a "look"......

30 years ago, I'd be talking to really experienced pilots (my work happened to put me in the same place as some Canadian renowned test pilots). I'd be talking to them, so as to try to weedle my modest piloting experience into their ranks. I got "the look". It was not rude, or condecsending, it was not associated with any particular words.... It was just a look... I saw it, but did not understand it. I'm starting to, and it's finding its way on to my face too.

I have no intention to demean anyone here, or make less of the modest experience which new pilots have, but, I have "the look", none the less.

There are a few posts here from multi thousand hour pilots, and a few from new pilots. Trust me, each of those multi thousand hour pilots has the same look on their face here. We want to encourage new pilots (that's why we post, for the most part), but falsely fluffing up new pilot's egos with "oh yeah, you've got what it takes now, go do what you want", is not going to happen.

If you're paying attention, you will never stop learning. The instructor or mentor pilot should not have to pay you, even though they are learning too - they have earned the privilage of charging for their expertise if they choose, be it major, or modest. Thinking you cannot learn form them is simply foolish, and that's just the negative warning sign that the 100 judges are watching for.

Yesterday, I flew the 168th different aircraft of my "career", A Cessna 180 floatplane, which I landed in an Atlantic fjord in Norway. With 400 hours of Cessna floatplane time, still a very new experience for me, in many ways. The pilot flying with me very likely has somewhat fewer total flying hours than I, but obviosly has a lot more experience doing this. I asked quite a few questions, and got great answers. I sure learned a lot from him.

New pilots, we'll try to not give you "the look", but try not to assert your skills too much either. Please keep your minds open for a thousand hours or so, then go back and re-read all of this!

My best wishes for your happy, long, and safe flying careers!