PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The 100 hour glass ceiling
View Single Post
Old 11th Jul 2010, 15:41
Jan Olieslagers

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I think I get your drift, too, and thanks for your comments.
Yet allow me to insist: One should be prepared, indeed, but it is impossible to be totally prepared. At least, that's what I was taught.
Most dangerous is to _believe_ one is totally prepared. I was sharply reminded of that at last weekend's obituaries.

There is not a single flight possible with zero risk. Whatever risk remains - and it can be reduced to acceptable levels, no less than the average car ride, far less a car ride through Friday afternoon traffic jams around major cities; but no-one seems to be nervous when starting such a ride - whatever risk remains should increase our nervosity, to raise our adrenaline levels, to keep us at the top of our ability.

There should never be any routine flight. Routine flying is dangerous - at least, that's what I was taught.

On top of that, routine flying is just as expensive as high adrenaline flying - and only half the fun. Don't want to sound like an adrenaline junkie, though...

((off the record: I am a bit of an amateur musician, too, and got exactly the same lesson in that world: whenever, however, wherever you play a tune, it should be played as crisply and as consciently as if it were the first time you did it. Thought of that guy many times, since))