PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Closure of YMPC, YMEN and YMMB
View Single Post
Old 31st Jul 2002, 14:48
Islander Jock

I don't want to be the best pilot in the world - Just the oldest

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I too was brought up near an airfield. In fact I lived just over the hill from Bankstown wher the planes would turn final onto rwy29. I used to love how low came over our house and especially how slow they appeared to be moving in the howling westerlies.

I watched over the years as the residential and light industrial development crept closer and closer to the airfield to the point that any open space has now reached saturation. I don't have knowledge of factual figures available but being mad keen on aeroplanes all my life and living so close to Bankstown I recall vividly a number of accidents / incidents occurring throught the late 60s and into the 70s. I wonder if statistically, there has been a significant increase over the years? But as Hone22 rightly points out, people bought cheap and now have the gall to complain. I would hate for the tragedy of MB will be used by those with personal agendas as a lever to gain support out of their local politicians. But it's a sure bet that it will occur.

As for developers, I was told at a meeting with a then FAC executive of one developer who took out an injunction against his organisation to stop them erecting signs warning of aircraft noise on a proposed development site. They were also very cunning as to when they arranged to meet prospective purchasers on site, such as lunch times or late in the afternoon when movts at the time were known to be at a minimum.

Tealady's advice is spot on
whinge, fight and make lots of noise if you want these airports to survive!
Because one thing is for sure, the various action groups opposed to airports around Australia are certainly doing just that in support of their cause.