PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Diesel
Thread: Diesel
View Single Post
Old 31st Jul 2002, 13:35
the wizard of auz
Bugsmasherdriverandjediknite

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

Well I never had a real good run out of em and we operated two 71s and four 92 silvers......and all through my time as a fitter I repaired em on boats, gen sets, trucks, pumps and compresors.
they all had a quirk or two but mainly suffered from people not operating them the way they enjoy being operated...flat out.
they also had this nasty habit of wearing the liner mounting points to an out of limit condition and then needed boring and line boring to make the blocks reusable.
you can run the big squirts in em no doubt at all, but this tended to make em blow heaps of black smoke and wash the bores, then needing a ring set pretty damn promptly.
we had a 16v92 in a W series kenny for a while and it would pull the titanic up, but you had to pay for it later down the line.
Now the series sixtys were a whole differant story.....what a magnificent engine.......never put a spanner on the four we ran and regularly had 1million Ks out of them.
OOOOOOOH boy, Im glad I dont do that stuff no more. (well no where as much any way)