PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - So it wasn't the "Hoorays" in Spitfires then ??
Old 8th Jul 2010, 10:12
MadsDad

(a bear of little brain)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I was working in London I used to know a woman whose first husband was a Polish pilot. He flew Lancasters operationally in the war then went onto flight testing after. I remeber her telling me about when he was based in Lancashire, flight testing Spitfires, she worked in an office on the seafront at Blackpool, on the top floor of the building. He often used to upset the office manager, flying in from the sea straight at the building and climbing over it at the last moment. I met t'Lad for a pint once when he was at IOT and mentioned that Hilda had 'an connection with the RAF - her first husband was a Polish Lancaster pilot in the war'. He started with an 'oh, yeah', expression but by the time I had finished the sentence he was sitting ramrod straight - I thought he was going to salute her.

And, JEM60, I used to know Chedburgh airfield well. We lived at Chevington for a while, a mate had the farm on it and we used to use it for car rally stages and autocrosses. I was actually misinformed though - I was always told it was a US base in the war - there was a bit of bare ground in Ickworth Park that was reputed to be where a P51 from the base had crashed.