PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Closure of YMPC, YMEN and YMMB
View Single Post
Old 31st Jul 2002, 07:36
hmm...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Closure of YMPC, YMEN and YMMB

What the hell is wrong with people these days?

Driving to Point Cook (usually fly) today and saw signs displayed by neighbouring properties stating:

" Yes to RAAF Museum"
" No to Circuits and Civil Flying"

Then I remembered reading an article in the Age last year stating that residents are complaining about aircraft noise and to shut down YMEN. Apparently residents are scared of planes dropping into their backyards yet the last one I can remember was in the late 1970's.

Then with the recent tragedy at YMMB, the community is calling the aerodrome unsafe and are demanding it also to be shut down!

HOLY SMOKE!!! What am I missing here?

YMPC was the first airbase in Australia (1920) and has been in operation since then. It has such a huge history that is truly unbelievable and that museum is fantastic!

YMEN was Melbourne's International airport until YMML was built (which is now facing problems from residents settling around that airport) and YMMB has always been Melbourne's primary training airport (although I completed all my training at YMEN).

So the question I pose is; what came first?

The airport or the residents?

Clearly YMPC (Est. 1920) should have the right to choose and not the residents. They all choose to buy the cheap land, yet they cry poor when students do wide circuits over their precious display homes.

I can understand that with all the development around the Point Cook area, that water front land would obviously be worth some money. But you buy a block of land next to an airport, what do you expect?

No aircraft to land and depart while you sleep?

I was under the assumption that the land is owned by the Crown and could only be sold by state and federal governments. Does anyone know anything about this? (I am aware that Fox owns YMEN and YMAV).

This has got out of hand! People are waiting for aircraft to crash and as they continue too, the push for these wonderful airports to be shut down gathers speed.

It will be a sad day indeed if YMPC, YMEN or YMMB do close their doors due to civilian pressure.