PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airline Jock's flying Charter!
View Single Post
Old 6th Jul 2010, 16:23
DaFly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Taking the risk of being pulled to pieces, but why do the GA guys feel, that "airline pilots" are not allowed to fly GA charters? Aren't they 'simply' pilots too?
Now, as to the aspect of an airline pilot earning a great salary and hence shouldn't be flying charters:
Is there a certain income limit amongst the SA pilot community, after which it is downright obscene to continue taking on work? Aren't there pilots employed by GA charter companies, also doing freelance work on the side, if they can?
What about those freelance pilots, that are flying regularly for rather good rates, is it ok for them to not share their flights with guys, that are not being called out that much?
How about pilots doing contract work? They quite often earn more than some of the airliners and still do freelance work in their time off at home. Is that ok? I know for a fact, that some A340 Captains earn less, than what contract pilots flying jets do.
Is there some kind of fine line, that a pilot crosses over, once employed by an airline?
I have come across a number of GA charter pilots who think the sun shines out of their bottom holes, being the divine's gift to aviation.
I know how it feels, if one sits at home and just waits for the telephone to ring. But if freelance pilots sit around, not flying enough, isn't that an indication of there being too many freelancers? What about people, who have had a no-fly job and now pour into the rather saturated market. Are they frowned upon?
What about the more experienced GA pilots, those flying 1900 or jets. Is it ok for them to do a flight on a piston single or light twin? Don't they take work away from the lesser experienced, lesser qualified pilots, who need the hours more and the money too?
Sure, many airline employment contracts state, that you are not allowed to take on work outside that specific company. Or they state, you are only allowed to fly 2 different types. But isn't that an issue between the airline and that pilot? Do you guys really feel called upon to play policemen? Do you open a case against everyone who overtakes you while you stick to the speed limit? Or jumps a red robot you stop at?
I think some people should rather ask themself, why they not get enough work. Why is it, that the charter queens call the "airline pilots" instead of you, who has been sitting around. Those freelancers I have met, who were not doing well, had contributed to their misery. Either by never being available over weekends, or by having a bad attitude towards the pax (I'm a pilot, not a porter) or even by rocking up noticeably hung over. Please take that into consideration too.