PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - So it wasn't the "Hoorays" in Spitfires then ??
Old 3rd Jul 2010, 17:12
old,not bold

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
At Sleap in the early '60s, one of the part-time instructors was Adam Wojda who, as far as I know, stayed behind after flying in the RAF in WWII.

He was my allocated instructor, although in those informal days you signed in to fly when you got to the airfield and flew in your turn when an aircraft and instructor became available, filling in the time doing useful things to keep the club running and flying.

This is my tribute to Adam, who taught me things I never forgot that were not in the syllabus but came from his experience and skill that he passed on so well. He was there reminding me to fly properly after I had a complete engine failure in cloud over the Italian mountains, some years later.

Sometimes he went too far, as in showing me how to make a beautifully square circuit by heaving up the nose at the corners, kicking the aircraft (Autocrat) over left or right as required and rolling out level on the new heading. An elementary stall turn, really. Great fun, and we did many touch-and-go circuits one day to perfect it. But even Adam couldn't get away with everything and he was grounded for 2 months after that.

The Polish people had and still have an independent spirit that survives all attempts to subdue it.

I should know; I am now a grandfather of a half-Polish bi-lingual 5-year old, who simply doesn't accept that "No" is sometimes the only option. And one day I'll show him how to fly really square circuits.......