PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What happened to the 2X EFATO thread ?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jul 2010, 23:28
Big Pistons Forever

Received 145 Likes on 68 Posts
Ryan 5252

If you substitute "confirm Beta lights" for "mixture ICO" and omit flaps, the flow of engine failure on the runway drill (before V1) is the same as for the transport catagory turbo-prop I fly for my day job. We brief before every takeoff so it becomes automatic. This is standard practice for every reputable operator flying large aircraft. One of the reasons professional pilots have a much lower accident rate than private flyers is because the industry has moved from ad hoc undisciplined flying styles to systematic approach that realizes humans do not think well under the sudden pressure of shocking unexpected events. Therefore preplanned and practiced actions help overcome event peralysis and make sure actions which seem obvious when sitting down at the computer, actually occur when the shyte hits the fan. A simple example of this is doing an on the runway simulated EFATO off a short field takeoffexercise. The first time the student always forgets to raise the flaps. This is because the student is mentally thinking short field take off, where the last thing you are going to do is raise the flaps on the runway. Yet if it is actually a short field getting the flaps up afer the failure, so you can get maximum braking may be the diference between stopping on the runway or going off into the ditch, particularly for low wing types.
I have found this an exallent example of demonstrating in a practicle way to the student how easy it is to forget obvious items in unexpected scenarios.

Frankly we lightplane pilots and instructors should be ashamed at the accident record of light aircraft. I personally think that a more disciplined approach is better than a "I know I will do the right thing when the bad event happens" that many light aircraft flyers use. I also strongly believe "professional" habits can be inculcated from the very beginning of training. Not "look at me I am so professional" flashery but an ordered methodical consistant efficent way to operate the aircraft in every segment of the flight.

You wrote

The checklist is all well and good and should be followed where possible, but there is alot to be said for the fight or flight instinct - our own mental checklist for survival which we do not need to be taught: "The sh** has hit the fan, lets the f*** out of this death bucket double quick!

I think you have adequately covered the .01 % incidents were the aircraft is engulfed in flame before it has even stopped. Unfortunately the accident statistics say the "lets get out of the death bucket double quick" flight response to low altitude EFATO's is to turn back to the comfort of that runway often with tragic results....

I you feel the need to further mock me, go ahead I do not care as I have explained my position and do not see any point in further comment.

Good Day

BPF

Last edited by Big Pistons Forever; 3rd Jul 2010 at 00:02.