PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BIRMINGHAM - 4
Thread: BIRMINGHAM - 4
View Single Post
Old 30th Jun 2010, 20:24
GayFriendly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The ever shrinking FR base @ BHX

With the latest FR spat over increased pax taxes and the info given by OP in the previous post can we assume the FR base at BHX will be shrinking even more? Can't believe that we are now losing PRG aswell, the European city destination offerings from BHX are nothing short of abysmal, short of full service hub airports, some key German cities and a few remaining randoms such as OPO, TRS I can't think of a time in recent years when it was so bad - in the last two years alone we have lost (not all FR) BCN, MAD, LIS, NYO, TSF, FCO, WAW, BLQ and now PRG that's not including a host of other smaller destinations gone including PSA, BLL, MRS, TPS, OLB, PIS (admittedly some of these perhaps ill advised....) And before the words recession, strength of Euro etc are used, a varied mix of European destinations appear to be at offered from most other UK regional airports at the mo, whether they are doing 'well' is another matter of course but at least they are hanging in there unlike at BHX! Why is BHX seemingly such a route graveyard? Things, as DReam once sang can only get better

In context though I do see that FR have said major cuts for all UK bases this winter except for LBA (I assume because its a new base and that would be a PR disaster) and of couse perennial favourite EDI (not a new base so must be doing really well to avoid cutbacks)