PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jetstar Cadetship (again)........
View Single Post
Old 30th Jun 2010, 14:08
bushy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
These are not isolated cases

Some years ago, I spoke to a pilot who had "purchased" 300 hours of Boeing time with an asian airline. When he reached the 300 hour point they did not have any more flying or salary for him. He was looking for a job flying piston engined aircraft in central Australia.
Another pilot was desparately trying to climb the slippery ladder and sent me a resume that claimed qualifications he did not have.
He went to the UK and paid about $130,000 to be retarined. Last I heard he was trying to get a an airline job in Australia.
GA became chaotic when it was flooded with short term, mobile newbies who really wanted airline jobs, and regional and other airlines appear to be going the same way. That is probably one reason why airlines are staring to run cadet schemes that make it more difficult to leave and go to bigger ships elsewhere. It also gives them some control over the number of available new pilots, so they can plan better. They have also passed on the cost of training to the cadets. (like CASA and ASA, they are probably making a profit from the "cost recovery.") Airlines are businesses and are required to make profits for their shareholders.
Even the RAAF expect a return of service in return for training, and run "cadet schemes".
Airline flying is beginning to be like a film star job in Hollywood. A few make big bucks, but it takes luck and many years of impoverished hard work to get there. If you do.
The main problem with the system is the furphy that highly paid airline jobs are usually availablewith a little bit of training.
This lures far too many wannabies and airlines can offer sub standard conditions and still get plenty of applicants.
Only the flying schools and the airlines benefit.