PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Autorotation: Hitting the spot
View Single Post
Old 30th Jun 2010, 13:07
SASless

Received 559 Likes on 228 Posts
Mug of Tea in hand....AFD texting away on her phone....new kitty sacked out on the floor after mooching the Commodore's chow....said Commodore having a royal snit fit about the "evil woman" and her feline consort....back on board here.

Gordy is exactly right about the "Ass, Tin, Ticket" concept of priorities. The sole objective of helicopter flying is for the Pilot and Passengers to be able to hit the bar upon termination of the flying day. One accomplishes that by using the aircraft as a reusable container for important items (said crew and pax). While carrying out that evolution (Navy Term applied to doing something), the concern about whether it is legal or not is of the very least importance. So..."Ass"....get them all home safely with as few aches and pains as possible, "Tin"...preserve the aircraft as long as possible as the Boss Fellah likes for his investment to last as long as possible in the very best of condition....but if needed...use every penny of his money to accomplish save yer "Ass"! As to "Ticket"....worry about arguing with the Crats Agin Aviation after you recover from the "Glad to be Alive" Party. Their snide tidings amount to naught in the scheme of things as compared to "Ass and Tin".

TET described an Auto Revs airtest well enough....and the same general procedure applies to all aircraft. I reference the autorev chart in the Maintenance Manual and calculate the "Target Nr" prior to the flight. Then conduct the flight to ensure I hold a stabilized descent for a full One Thousand-Two Thousand feet of height, with the Collective Lever FULL DOWN (if possible) and record the OAT, Altitude, and Nr. If adjustments are required....do another flight until the target Nr is achieved (or as close as possible) as there might be some slight variation.

As to introducing my AFD to a helicopter pilot.....Forgetaboutit!