PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Are YOU getting what you paid for????
View Single Post
Old 30th Jul 2002, 09:18
Wee Weasley Welshman

Received 176 Likes on 68 Posts
From the other side of the fence students wanting to chop and change instructors all the time is a royal pain in the backside and usually detrimental to them.

Its a two way street remember. There is an onus on you to get on with your instructor just as much as there is on him to get on with you. Don't think you are going to like every Skipper you jump in a flightdeck for 11 hours with...

What often happens is student A starts boasting about how great his instructor is, top chap, never wrong, great laugh etc. Student B hears this and frets his instructor isn't as good. He wants to try the other instructor. Students C, D and E see this happening and want to get in on a good thing.

Suddenly one instructor is flavour of the month and everyone wants a transfer and starts feeling cheated by being with their present instructor.

I have been in that situation myself both whereby my students wanted to fly with another instructor and whereby most of the student population were scrambling to fly with me. Its all rubbish.

As a general tip I suggest you drop any customer attitude you have with your flying instructor. I know you are paying a small fortune and sometimes its frustrating not to be treated as such.

However, the most productive strategy for you is to extract the maximum possible effort out of your Instructor. This is best achieved by being nice to them, flattering their egos and generally being a loyal and diligent pupil. If you can coax your knackered, harassed and broke Flying Instructor to really care about you, to go that extra mile every day, then you will receive excellent instruction from nearly every one out there.

Its true.

Think of it as your first experience of CRM. Getting what you want out of a crew member without causing conflict.

Cheers,