PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cadet Pilot Progams
View Single Post
Old 29th Jun 2010, 23:31
Wally Mk2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The way of the future

Such topics pop up nowadays more than ever re cadet-ships etc. As I have said in the past 'the way of the future' like it or not.
The question that remains is is it a good thing for you,well only 'you' can answer that but being informed from others experiences can make that decision more applicable to ones self, hence ask away
I have to agree with "EO"
I'd say that from us of a few years under our aviation belts believe you don't need a higher education to fly a plane (I'm a perfect Eg of that never even finished form 5!)even a modern day transport category jet what you do need though is the ability to adapt & learn new ways/things as well as being a good team player. The days of flying with an engineer, a full time navigator & whom else you could squeeze into the cockpit are long gone making flying a modern jet more a 'systems' manager.
Engineers have 'dumbed' down a lot of the way we used to fly with automation to cater for the lowest common denominator (ME).
Pretty much everything is done for you via computers etc now so until something ugly goes wrong ones skills are simply not needed beyond basic stuff. Back to that every perplexing question. Do you need a uni degree etc to do the above?
Somebody seems to think so & again,...............'the way of the future'
I guess today's bean counters want pilots to be savvy in all aspects of flying & that includes saving money for the Co.
I openly say good luck to those that follow behind me as a pilot for they know no different as to the way it was

Wmk2....................glad to have missed the new era that has flying just as a job & not an adventure as well (although it's still an adventure to the boy in me)