PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - So it wasn't the "Hoorays" in Spitfires then ??
Old 29th Jun 2010, 21:39
Tankertrashnav

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts
Another misconception about the Battle of Britain is that only pilots took part in the action. Obviously as the predominant types involved were single seat fighters, pilots were in the majority, but a number of Blenheim Squadrons (eight I think) took part, and their aircrews were all awarded the Battle of Britain clasp. I was once the proud owner of a Battle of Britain group of medals awarded to a Blenheim air gunner, whose crew was credited with one kill in the Battle, an Me109 - no mean feat for a Blenheim. As an ex nav I also have to point out that Blenheim observers also received the clasp, so later on there would have been Battle of Britain navs - I wonder if any survive!

On the subject of nationalities, although the Irish government remained neutral in WW2, many brave Irishmen from South of the border came to fight, and ten Irish pilots flew in the Battle of Britain, including Wg Cdr "Paddy" Finucane, DSO, DFC **.

Last edited by Tankertrashnav; 29th Jun 2010 at 21:51.