PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Commuting CC
Thread: Commuting CC
View Single Post
Old 29th Jun 2010, 07:32
L337

the lunatic fringe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just to continue on from the above, this area is deliberately non prescriptive because it is impossible to police, and everyone's rest requirements are different.

For example if I drive down to LHR from Manchester, get stuck in traffic caused by an accident, arrive in the briefing room with 30 seconds to spare having driven a car for the last five hours... am I more or less rested than the person who has flown in from JNB? They having had 6 hours sleep on the plane, a snooze on the couch in the afternoon, and reports in good time to go to HKG?

The above is just one of an infinite set variables that effect all crew who have to travel to work. Be it a short drive in rush-hour, to a long flight in before operating.

The essence is that no matter where you live, or how you get to work, you have to be sufficiently rested before operating, and that is "your" responsibility to achieve that.

The above is for the UK. The Americans take commuting to a whole different level, and I do not know the FAA rules. Google "crashpads" to learn more.