PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New ATCOs
Thread: New ATCOs
View Single Post
Old 26th Jun 2010, 14:31
aldegar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IICyrusII, my apologies for misunderstanding your post.

About coming to work to Spain, there are so many changes and new things coming out everyday after the famous Decree (february) and the new law following it (april) that it's difficult to say. We're not even certain at all about our situation and how we are going to end up! Lots of rumours... (and we don't know what other "undercover" plans AENA and the government might have in mind).

I can only give you some tips from what I've read and heard:

- Spanish citizenship: I wouldn't bother about getting it, it has never been a requirement to be an ATCO in Spain. Before, it was a requirement to have a University Degree recognized by the Spanish Ministry of Education and Science, but holding a University Degree is no longer a requirement and any ATCO with an european ATC licence (nothing said about the spanish citizenship) could now legally work here as long as he/she has at least an ICAO level 4 in spanish.

- With the Decree, AENA will be in charge of all the ACCs and some TWRs. Some twrs will become AFIS (the first one GCGM in a few weeks) and some twrs will be privatized (which ones?).

- Looks like AENA won't be hiring new ATCOS. They've just announced that GMC in LEMD and LEBL will no longer be done by ATCOs but by the airport staff. Rumours are they also want to get rid of the assistant position in most radar sectors. They are also forcing us to work more hours with less ATCOs per shift. They can also dispose of all the ATCOs currently working in the twrs that will be privatized or "afisized". So, we even suspect they will fire some of us at some point.

- If AENA doesn't hire any ATCOS, the only option will be working in a twr with the new private companies (no idea... serco? DFS?..). No idea about what the T&Cs will be with the new companies, but the Prime Minister justified the Decree as a way to cut cost and constantly mentioned the "new low cost controllers".

- Our trade union (USCA) policy is that any foreign controller coming to work to spain should be hired in the same T&Cs as we have (no "second class" ATCOs).

- New private ATC schools will start working in autumn in Spain. Students will pay for their tuition, around 50.000 euros with only the twr rating (6 months course). And most of those finishing will be offered a job afterwards (though they don't guarantee it)

- Not only the situation is not clear, but we are also taking legal action and we are fighting against all this. We may not win the war, but we hope to win many battles.