PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - St. Athan - Sound Barrier, June 1950 at the latest
Old 26th Jun 2010, 12:31
glosgirl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sound barrier at St. Athan

Hello again. All I know about hearing the sound barrier broken at St. Athan is that my father was stationed there from some time in 1947 until June 1950, and that I was present at an air show on the base. I can recall sitting on the grass with my mother and all the other families. I could see the control tower and watched all the flying displays, including one aircraft that flew very low and fast over ours heads and disappeared past the control tower. I'm not saying this was the aircraft that broke the sound barrier, because I don't imagine it was. We were all waiting, and then we heard the distinctive boom noise high above us and everyone knew the sound barrier had been broken. I don't remember actually seeing the aircraft in question, but I do recall my father saying that was what had happened, so it wasn't a mistaken belief caused by some other noise. The event had to have happened by June 1950 because that was when we left St. Athan for Northern Ireland. St. Athan was definitely the location.

I am prepared to be told it can't have happened, but I trust my memory. Something broke the sound barrier that day and I heard it.