PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jetstar Cadetship (again)........
View Single Post
Old 25th Jun 2010, 10:01
moss197

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ausflying
"But is the 6 years bonded to jetstar counted as part of "The Cadetship"? Why is there such a knock on this program? I really don't understand, it's in JQ's interests after paying for your training accomodation etc. to give you work. Unless it's in a signed contract they cannot force you to pay them back, I guess reading the fine print is important in these delicate situations"

Because, after you have finished paying for your on-the-job training (and buying your job) it is cheaper for them to "employ" another wannabe who is willing to pay for the same deal as you did. They don't renew your contract but engage a new wannabe cadet (just like you were). "Cadets" (who pay) are cheaper than employees who get paid.

Simple mathematics
But you are checked to line, you arent paying anything up front, surely an a320 endo and a job getting hours on the actual aircraft for six years is plenty to get you going! Even if they don't renew that contract after 6 years then youve still got a ****load of hours on a jet so you can do what you like with it. If you don't like jet flying, im sure any other lower level job that's out there would take you on with that kind of experience. I'm not doing the cadetship so i'm not biased towards it but either way my point remains valid. And if you love it then after six years even 50% co pilot time i'm sure would be enough to get you doing something with another airline.