PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bing-bong "This is your captain/flight attendant/whoever..."
Old 23rd Jun 2010, 14:24
Lonewolf_50

Received 405 Likes on 251 Posts
Thank you Paxboy
Lonewolf_50, I think you have the start of a very good idea.

Initially all carriers will recoil instinctively - but only because they have done so since the start of time. In a LH lounge, children will be glad to have something to do and can then - in emergency - be a help to their parents not a hindrance.
However, I do see a snag already in my idea. A given gate at an airport services many different kinds of aircraft, each with a possibly different seat, and a different life vest.

Caveat: a given airline may own an entire wing or concourse (my mind flies to the myriad of American Airline gates at DFW) of an airport, or lease it to the point that it is "X Airline's" concourse. For the majors at large airports, this might be more doable. A small kiosk with a variety of seats and life vests for trying out. For a smaller airline on tight margins, the expense may not make the cut for funding.

How to label such a small, fun, trainng kiosk?

Passenger prep kiosk, training ... how to get the most out of your flight ... marketing isn't my strongest suit, I grant you.

There is also the matter of dealing with the airport authority who wants as many segments/square feet of his airport area to be revenue producing ... what shop or pub is sacrificed?

While the trained passenger is more likely to respond well to things gone wrong, selling a cost benefit scheme in an industry where most flights are utterly uneventful for the passenger may be a bridge too far.