PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bad RWY at JFK again
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jun 2010, 01:10
Wiley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd be interested to see any counter agruments to my comment (above)
Another of my pet hates is those widebody pilots who think they're flying a Cessna 152 and kick it straight at the last moment in a crosswind.
As I said above, there would seem to be quite a few who disagree with me and prefer (and persist in using) the 'kick it straight in the latter stage of the flare' technique.

In my opinion, this has all the pitfalls of turning a stable approach at the very last (and most critical) moment into what is basically an unstable approach.

With the width of the mainwheel tracks on current widebodies, it also means you can find the downwind main bogies very close to, if not off the runway in little more than the blink of an eye if you don't manage to achieve touchdown exactly when you wanted to.

I've never professed to thinking that I'm some 'ace of the base' by any means, but lately, old age and changed flying patterns have made it even more difficult to maintain stick and rudder skills. The combination of (let's be honest - stupid) company SOPS demanding maximum use of automation at all times and much of our flying these days being ultra long haul, none of us get as much hands on practice as we'd like, so anyone thinking they can plant the beast on the runway at exactly the right moment in a heavy crosswind with a 'kick it straight in the flare' manoeuvre, particulalry at the end of a twelve hour sector, in my opinion, is fooling himself.