PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bing-bong "This is your captain/flight attendant/whoever..."
Old 22nd Jun 2010, 13:27
Lonewolf_50

Received 405 Likes on 251 Posts
I haven't said that I don't want to listen to the briefings, I said that the briefings don't appear to be suit the objective, and that a rethink is needed.
As I think of this, the objective of the safety briefing is informational, to meet a minimal requirement of mentally preparing the attentive passenger to execute a few simple commands/steps in event of something going wrong.

I don't think it counts as training.

Do you agree?

If you want somebody to do something, training is often an effective means of transferring habits and behaviors.

Effective passenger training would include doing dry runs for donning life vests, for example, and a single dry run "how to get out of a tube via the emergency exit" events.

Hmmm.

People sit in the terminal for hours on end.

Why not have a "how to" booth for pax to practice donning the life vest for their flight? (PR reason: don't dwell on the negative, the airplane is just a faster bus to get you to see your cousin ... ) Get a ticket/coupon for having done so, while your fellow pax are still stumbling through security and full body cavity searches ...

Needless to say, most pax don't undergo training for things gone wrong, though crew do.

In your suggestion for a rethink, is training a path ahead?

Given how well the USAIR mishap/water landing was publicized, could various airlines consider that "since it might happen, drop by our little training booth and try on a life vest" with some sort of positive incentive to do so?

Free bag of peanuts?

I haven't come up with the sales pitch, but perhaps there is some room to encourage pax participation in training and being ready for the odd "it went wrong" event.

I just finished the NTSB report on USAIR 1549, and was interested to see how many people didn't get their life vests ... the briefings were apparently ignored or overlooked by a large portion of the pax surveyed.

*rubs head*

There is room for a process improvement here ...