PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bad RWY at JFK again
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jun 2010, 03:06
Wiley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
p51guy, that's the way it should be done, particularly on a very long aircraft like the A340-600 or the B777-300, but in my experience (12+ years on the 773), I've seen more than a few pilots who forget to make that allowance.

Another of my pet hates is those widebody pilots who think they're flying a Cessna 152 and kick it straight at the last moment in a crosswind. it works a treat if you get it exactly right, but can quickly become a proverbial can of worms if you don't and the aircraft begins to drift downwind before touchdown. The side of the runway can come up very, very quickly in such circumstances.

"Stabilised Approach" is the mantra we all go by in normal ops, so why not stick with that concept in a crosswind? Do what the autopilot does - cross controls a couple of hundred feet above touchdown (and if you're really clever, align the track made good line with the heading marker on your PFD) and the aircraft will ooze onto the runway tracking beautifully. If the crosswind is above 31kts, where Boeing recommends you don't cross control, accept a bit of crab at touchdown and kick it straight immediately after 'impact' - the aircraft will cope with it. If you don't believe me, look at that anmazing video clip of the 777s doing their crosswind proving flights in (was it?) Peru.

But if you're going to land with crab on - or are a 'kick it straight at the last minute' hero(!), stick yourself and the cockpit right out over the upwind side of the runway, (in a strong crosswind, as far out as the runway edge) 'cos when you kick it straight, the pivot point won't be you and the cockpit, but waaaay behind you.