PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Radio in uncontrolled airspace
View Single Post
Old 21st Jun 2010, 17:24
UnlikelyAdventure

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Radio in uncontrolled airspace

Okay, here is a random issue:

Flying cross-country the UK, I can never decide who to talk to whilst VFR in uncontrolled airspace when not near enough to an aerodrome to warrant talking to them. I sort of feel like I should be talking to someone and if I've got a radio and transponder, I might as well use them.

Should I contact a LARS unit and ask for a traffic service? Or should I talk to London FIS for a basic service? Or should I just not talk to anyone?

I have on occasion spoken to London FIS...this seems to be useful for a few different reasons...they'll give me an alerting service if I go missing...squawking their code lets radar units know who i'm talking to in case I get too near their airspace...they can give useful information and can give limited information on traffic in the area. However, I've been told by a couple of people that London FIS is only there to contact if I want some specific information from them.

Most of the uncontrolled airspace in the UK is covered by a LARS, but should I talk to them?...and would they bother to give me just a basic service?

I find this quite frustrating because I can never decide who if anyone to talk to and there doesn't seem to be an accepted practice for this and nobody I've asked has been able to give a good answer.

Anybody out there have any advice on good practice?