PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flight attendant helps land plane at O'Hare
Old 21st Jun 2010, 03:22
stepwilk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, that's great news about your upgrades, congratulations! Seriously.

And what you say about the story being overblown is just what I said, so we're in total agreement there.

I'm just annoyed by the constant downplaying of what she might have done, both on this forum and on the very popular U. S. blog "Ask the Pilot," on Salon.

Here's what she might have done, and it's pretty much what any PNF might have done: Handled the comms, set the altimeters, put out flaps and gear, and looked out for VFR traffic. I think anybody with 300 hours on a CPL, even if it was years ago, would be able to do that. People also seem to think 300 hours barely lets you leave the traffic pattern, which is ridiculous. I was flying serious turbo twins into and out of high-density terminals when I had 300 hours, though granted it was 35 years ago.

Yet everybody seems to think that all she did was fart into the seatcushions. Obviously maybe the PF assigned her no duties at all, I don't know.

And where did the "because she's a woman stuff" come from? Perhaps just decades of hearing peoples' reactions when I tell people my wife's a pilot too, with a handful of ratings including multi-engine.