PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - V Australia challenged by AFAP for CR FO pay
Old 20th Jun 2010, 04:02
Red Jet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Or don't we count?
I most sincerely hope we (SFO's) do, cause I am one of them as well.

I came across to VA for A/C 4 from the 737 VB fleet. Not because I was in the immediate firing line for redundancies, but because I thought a fleet change was a good idea as the Command upgrades came to a screeching halt in VB as a result of the GFC. Just another feather in your cap cap, if it all should turn to poo.......

The 4/7th rule for the first 7 aircraft was most certainly well known within the VB group and it WAS in the public domain as well, being an appendix to the VB EBA.

It is regrettable that some SFO's was not aware of this, and if their decision would have been made differently if they HAD been aware of it - I can understand the frustration they feel. I find it very hard to believe though, that the VA flight ops management would even entertain the idea of trying to cover it up during the recruitment process, but ultimately everyone has to take responsibility in exercising due diligence, while looking out for #1.

To the best of my knowledge - none of the VA SFO that came across from VB feel, that they have any "rights" to be considered for a 777 Command ahead of the very experienced guys that joined the group during VA's startup. I am obviously only speaking for myself here but have not heard any SFO's express a different sentiment during my time with VA.

VIPA (and as far as I understand the AFAP as well) are working at having the VA starting date recognised for upgrades. It is a very fine (and wiggly) line between upgrades made on merit and nepotism/camaraderie, and the Status Quo is untenable from the line pilots perspective. We will only change it through collective efforts though, and I want to say to those VA pilots that have not yet joined a union of their choice to get off your arse and get behind the push to better the deal for all of us. If you are still standing on the side line to see which union "wins" - you are wasting your time! Neither VIPA or AFAP are going away in a hurry and remember that there will only be ONE EBA for the flight crew, to which both unions will be respondents. If you don't join either, you don't really deserve to reap the benefit of the improvements that WILL come our way as a result of negotiations, and make no mistake - the improvements will be less, if our negotiating strength is reduced by having a sizable number of flight crew remaining unaffiliated with either union. This company will NEVER give you what you (reckon you) deserve - only what you negotiate. STAND UP AND BE COUNTED!!