PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What are the job prospects for new CPLs? (MERGED)
Old 18th Jun 2010, 21:34
rabidcat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How in God's name does one learn aviation spanish or Catalan for that matter? Seriously...

I have given some consideration to going in to a law enforcement field as well and maybe pursuing a GIS degree (which would def come after landing the first job). Law enforcement, I know I would have to put in a couple years as a beat cop probably, but I could pursue either a GIS degree during that time, or maybe spend some time at Bell taking a few of those $3-4000 5 day courses learning their turbines. The GIS degree I was hoping would give me an edge in to the fire fighting/survey/long line sort of job. Not sure if a handful of turbine hours would help keep me proficient and give me an edge in to flying a law enforcement copter or not...

A wise instructor, who is having the same employment issue, once told me that if you want to go the military route, you have to be willing to be a soldier first and foremost, and a pilot second. Military is my last choice because I simply don't want that much structure and a tied in commitement. I eat, sleep, and drink helicopters 24/7 and I want to be a pilot for the travel and experience and the flexibility. The military doesn't sound like my cup of tea, especially with no guarantee of flying no matter what certs you hold.

Just thinking out loud, but would love some feedback. Thanks

Last edited by rabidcat; 18th Jun 2010 at 21:49.