PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Su27 Crashes at Airshow in Ukraine
View Single Post
Old 28th Jul 2002, 01:26
Taildragger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just a week ago, I was in Rimini, at the Aviation Museum, and it had a very comprehensive display of aircraft, including a monument to the Three Frecce Tricolori pilots and the 60 od spectators that died at Ramstein after the collision of the three Aermacchis. What made it particularly poignant was the fact that the wreckage of the three aircraft was displayed as part of the memorial....very powerful emotionally.
I thought then, that inevitably, there would be another somewhere someplace, but was stunned to read about this one.
The Air Force Chief's responsible for the district have already been sacked, and the Governments of the area have announced a relief chest for relatives. Right now, I think, it's sympathy and support they need, not money....that will follow, and some positive action to ensure, as far as is possible, that rules are tightened up for this sort of display, to take aircraft away from the crowd line if something, as surely happened here, goes horribly wrong. The two Crew ejected.....I think given the fact that some people have already been sacked may point to the way in which they can expected to be hung drawn and quartered by the brass. It seems to be the vogue....check the Mull of Kintyre.
My heart goes out to the victims. Vale