PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Graduate Salaries
View Single Post
Old 16th Jun 2010, 19:24
AV_Senior Eng

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In response

Hi guys,

I've recently been promoted to senior engineer, i work in the UK, graduated from a very good uni. I graduated in 2005, my salary has jumped considerably over the past 4.5 years...i guess like any profession if you're good you'll do well.

As a grad eng my package incl bonus was 25k (in 2005 - 06), which was pretty good! In my 2nd yr i was given a 3k pay rise plus bonus taking my salary to 30.5k (06 - 07). During my 3rd yr my salary increased by a further 3k \and bonus also increased so in total i was getting 35k (07 - 08), during this yr i was seconded to site for 6 months and my salary was bumped up so for 6 months i was on the equivalent of (40k). During 2008 to 2009 - i had 3 years exp, i decided to leave the firm and go into the public sector, where things were more stable, as a Design engineer (3 yrs exp) i was on 40k. 3 months ago i passed my charteredship and my pay was reviewed and i am now earning just under £50k, the bonus is only £250-£500/yr, which takes me above the £50k mark. I think this is pretty good for a 27 year old. My bro (29) is a doctor, he's a GP registra and is on about £52k, so our salaries are comparable.

On the otherhand my friend from uni also joined the graduate scheme with the same firm i worked for as a graduate. He didn't leave the company and so he's been there for 4.5 years and he's still on £35k, and he passed his charteredship the same time as me. This probably due to the current market where firms are making cut-backs!

In conclusion, i guess what i'm saying is there is def money to be made in engineering, but just don't stay in the same place for more than 3 years! Once you reach senior eng you can go on to become lead eng then go on to become a principal/chief eng where salaries can touch £100k (or more) in the Uk. Most engineers go on to become directors/managers for firms where they also earn six fig salaries with huge bonuses! The other option is get your experience and then go on to contracting where you earn by the hour. These rates can vary between £30/hr to £70/hr. I know petrochem offer £120/hr.

There are a lot of engineers out there, but not many good ones! And these good ones are the ones will be rewarded! If you're thinking of doing engineering do the traditional core eng degrees:

Civil
Mechanical
Electrical & Electronic
Chemical
Aeronautical

These core degrees are much more recoginsed than the more recent 'so-called' eng degrees such as bio-medical eng, bio-chemical...etc etc