PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How Should I Know That my Student is Ready for His First Solo???
Old 16th Jun 2010, 08:06
BEagle

Received 305 Likes on 114 Posts
Well, going back to the original query...

I used the rule of thumb that 3 consecutive circuits and landings without any need for me to say or do anything was the decider.

After the last landing, I would take control and taxy clear at the mid-point. Then tell the student that I wanted him/her to do the power check, pre-take-off checks and go off when cleared for one circuit, then come back to the same spot to pick me up.

I'd watch him/her getting on with this on my way to the ATC tower. The reason I went to the tower was more to stop any Air Trafficker BS interfering with the trip than to watch the student!

When he/she came back to pick me up, they'd be all smiles, of course. A quick handshake and then I'd taxy it back. The debrief would be conducted during taxying - "Go OK, did it?" "Yes" "Well done, Captain!"

I only recall one student saying that he didn't think he was ready. I told him that although I thought he was, if he wasn't happy, then OK. I suggested that I'd ask another FI to fly with him the next time, so that he could have the benefit of a second opinion.

m_j - did you send A Certain Lady off on her first solo? That must have been fun.....